Friday, December 26, 2008

An Ode to Dogs and Nephews

I told a friend of mine recently that my dog and my nephews were going to be the highlight of my holiday. And I was right. They were the highlights, the shining lights, the lights of hope-- they saved Christmas for this despondent soul. 

(Ok, to be fair- my family was great. Sympathetic, even. And I told them I was struggling and they responded with hugs. My youngest brother is in full support of me adopting a schnoodle.)

BUT- the dog and the nephews still ruled. Here is what I observed, learned, appreciated about each of them:

1) M- the baby: Honestly, there is nothing to worry about other than whether we are wet or dry, hungry or full, tired or awake. All of these situations are easily remedied and so there is nothing left to do, if all other functions are taken care of, than smile and drool and giggle and sing. It is preferable to drool directly on someone else as that seems to inspire the most laughs. Also, it is best to have a delicious smelling head. This induces the most holding by others.

2) E- the 4.75 year old: We are smartest when we are young. 
While watching Jen Anniston in Marley and Me process the disappointment of a miscarriage, he told me "I think God just didn't make the baby yet." 
My response: "I think you're right. And God knows what he is doing, huh?" To which he nodded cherubically and solemnly, with the wisdom of a youth with unchallenged faith. 
When the dog was put to sleep in the film, E asked me what was happening. "He's getting medicine, because he is so sick, but it's medicine to make him sleep forever." E nodded sagely and continued to dangle from the railing on the steps right next to us. I wiped away tear after tear and pretended I understood as well as he did about the cycle of life.

3) Friday- the yorkie-poo: There is a reason dog and God contain the same letters. It's true and it's ridiculous. I have become a complete sap for my animal. But there are so very few beings in life who support us unconditionally. I have two humans in mind, in my life, and one dog. And the dog can be scolded, reprimanded, and even ignored from time to time and he still trots next to me in strange environments, still wags his tail enthusiastically after a brief separation. He loves me unconditionally and I feel the same. Yes, we disappoint each other at times, me by leaving for a few hours, him by chewing, well- everything, but our anger dissipates rapidly, and we are left snuggling together on the couch.

A dog is a blessing. A nephew is a blessing. A baby is a blessing. I am so blessed to have all in my life; in my Christmas.

No comments: